Town of Purcellville
Settled in 1764 and named Purcellville in 1853 after Valentine Purcell established the town’s first post office, this bustling Blue Ridge foothills settlement still has something of a frontier feel to it. The low-slung buildings of downtown, including a renovated grain mill turned restaurant, are reminiscent of a western film set, while the handsome white picket-fenced Victorian homes of the surrounding neighborhoods give it a well-to-do all-American ambience. Recent years have seen a spurt of development with new restaurants, BBQ joints, ice cream parlors, coffee bars, boutiques, thrift stores and even a world-renowned whisky distillery. The town is an excellent departure point for the wineries, breweries, farms and hiking trails of the surrounding countryside and mountains.