Lincoln is a few miles southeast of Purcellville, in the heart of the "Quaker Settlement."
Lincoln is an unincorporated village in Loudoun Valley that was established as the community of Goose Creek in the 1750s by Quaker settlers, and was renamed shortly after the president’s election. Its residents opposed secession and slavery before the Civil War, and attempted to be neutral after hostilities broke out. They eventually confirmed their status as citizens of the Confederacy and willingly obeyed its laws, except those requiring them to bear arms. Some may well have been involved in the Underground Railroad. When Union forces came to Western Loudoun to burn out Mosby’s guerillas in late November 1864, Quaker farms and mills were burned as well. Lincoln became the first community in the post-Civil War South to be named for assassinated President Abraham Lincoln. Just down Sands Road less than a mile from the village, the last skirmish of the Civil War in Loudoun took place in a thunderstorm on March 21st, 1865 at a place called "Katy’s Hollow," near the intersection with today’s Manassas Gap Court. There, members of the 12th Pennsylvania Cavalry were lured into an ambush by Mosby’s men and took heavy casualties.