Boxwood Estate Winery
2042 Burrland Lane
Middleburg, VA 20117
OverviewBoxwood Estate Winery is located in Middleburg, an authentic town steeped in American Revolutionary and Civil War history, just outside the nation's capital. Known for its world-famous horse farms, country living and luxury visitor experiences, it also is recognized as one of Virginia's leading wine regions. Boxwood is a historic estate listed on the National Register. The winery is the accomplishment of proprietor John Kent Cooke, former owner and president of the NFL Washington Redskins - and a long-time admirer and collector of French wines, particularly great Bordeaux. Boxwood worked for seven years with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to establish the Middleburg American Viticultural Area (AVA) in 2012. AVAs allow vintners to establish the geographic pedigree of their wines, which can possess distinctive, favorable characteristics. The Boxwood vineyards are sustainable and occupy 26.5 acres of the historic landmark farm. The vineyards are planted with traditional Bordeaux varietals: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and Malbec; and whites Sauvignon Blanc and Sauvignon Gris - all ENTAV certified by the French government. The winery produces only estate-grown red, white and rosé wines in the Bordeaux tradition, but with a distinct Virginia expression. The winery structure is an award-winning design by Hugh Jacobsen. Modern, but it is created with materials characteristic of the 18th-century rural Virginia: fieldstone, seam metal roofs and cupolas. It is a complex of four interconnected buildings: TastingRoom; Chai (with 13 custom, stainless steel tanks); a Bottling Building and a circular, underground Cave. The winery is laid out in a cruciform because, Jacobsen said, the methods and culture of wine making are sacred. Hours: Wednesday - Sunday, 11am - 6pm
- Loudoun Wine:
- Master Card
- American Express
- Business Hours: Tasting Room Open: Wed-Sun 11am-6pm Group Tastings and Tours require a reservation. Please call ahead or visit our website.
- Non Smoking:
- Handicapped Accessible:
- Accessibility Amenities: Guest arriving by bus/limo/motorcoach are required to make a reservation.
- Internet Access:
- Offers Tour:
- Bus/Limo/Motorcoach Parking:
- Admission Fee/Tasting Fee: $13/person
- Tour Length: Self guided tours of the winery and vineyard is allowed to all guests. Tour and Tasting: Approximately 1 Hour (confirm tour with your reservation).
- Reservation Policy: Credit card required to make reservation. Guests will be asked to pay in full at time of visit. 3-day cancellation policy, fees may apply.
- Group Admission/Tasting Fee: Group Tasting Experiences start at $20 per person
- Group Reservation Policy: Large groups accepted on a first come/first served basis. No unannounced large busses. Groups Tastings & Tours for parties of 8 or more are required to call ahead with a deposit. Touring limos and smaller busses welcomed.
- Cancellation Policy:
- Deposit Policy:
- Outdoor Meeting Space: