The weather is great here in Loudoun at this time of year: warm days, sunshine, cool nights. It’s a perfect time for a getaway, and this month there’s lots of special events to make your visit even more memorable.
Mother’s Day Events
- On May 8, Willowcroft Farm Vineyards is having a Mother’s Day event that includes lunch, a tasting of wine, and Mimosas. Reservations are required.
- On May 9, Doukenie Winery offers “Celebrate Mom” where mom will receive a complimentary herb of her choice to plant or use in cooking.
- Hillsborough Vineyards features a Mother’s Day Buffet Brunch on Sunday, May 9 with live music.
- Also on May 9, Tuscarora Mill in Leesburg is offering a four-course fixed price menu that will dazzle all of the mothers in your life.
- The Restaurant at Patowmack Farm in Lovettsville offering “Mother's Day on the Farm” on May 9. Bring your family to enjoy the beautiful scenic location. Four course prix fixe menu or a la carte menu available.
- Savoir Fare Restaurant in Round Hill is honoring mom with a special four course menu. Three seatings.
- For a more casual day, head to Purcellville’s Sunset Hills Vineyard for their gourmet picnic lunch and live music by Lenny Burridge (and free wine tastings for mom!).
- Loudoun's newest wine tasting room, Bogati Bodega & Vineyard, is offering mom's a complimentary rose with their wine tasting at their "Wine & Roses Mother’s Day Event" on May 9.
- Head to Briar Patch B&B between Aldie and Middleburg for their “Very Special Mother's Day Brunch & Dinner.” Enjoy a sumptuous brunch featuring a Belgian Waffle station, an omelet station, carved Virginia baked ham, and chicken piccata. For dinner, enjoy a choice of two salads, beef medallions, fontina stuffed chicken, roasted vegetable tortellini, and a cheesecake bar.
Live Music & Performing Arts
- On May 7, 8, Sunset Hills Vineyard offers relaxing de-stressing with their “Wine Down Music” and features local artists. It features wine but there’s also, French Bread, gourmet cheeses, imported Italian meats, and all natural tapenades. 5-8pm. Free! Scheduled to appear: May 7, Tommy Rothman; May 8, Magick Kat; May 9, Lenny Burridge; May 14, Chatham Street; May 15, Mike Leverone; May 16, Eason & Kurt Samuel; May 22, Tommy Rothman; May 23, Jon Fritz; May 28, Ken Wenzel.
- Franklin Park Performing Arts Center in Purcellville features The Seldom Scene on May 7; the Master Singers of Virginia on May 9 performing “The Music of America;” The Loudoun Symphony’s “Mountains and Music” concert on May 15; the Loudoun Symphonic Winds on May 16; Andrew McKnight and Beyond Borders on May 28; “Loudoun’s Got Talent” on May 30.
- Loudoun Summer Music Fest is back at Belmont Country Club in Ashburn this month for another year with Little Feat & Delbert McClinton on May 9; Billy Currington on May 15; Dark Star Orchestra on May 23.
- On May 15, Grandale Farm presents The Zekiah Swamp Cats, a Washington, DC area band specializing in traditional and contemporary bluegrass. Featuring the amazing vocal and fiddling talents of 17 year old Shannon Bielski, the Swamp Cats bring a unique sound to the DC bluegrass scene.
- May 21 through May 23 features “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” at the Franklin Park Performing Arts Center in Purcellville.
- Chrysalis Vineyards’ 8th Annual Hottest Cool Jazz Festival will be held on the weekend of May 22-23 and features incredible jazz from the areas hottest bands, BBQ, cheese, and chocolates from Virginia's most highly regarded producers, and exquisite jewelry and fine art from renowned artists, along with award-winning Chrysalis wine.
- On May 13, take in the sunset from Oatlands’ exquisite gardens while enjoying live music from Juliet Lloyd. Bring a picnic to enjoy or purchase beverages and snacks provided by Corcoran Vineyards.
- For outdoor movies, check out “Big Screen Gospel Movie Night” at Calvary Temple Church in Sterling. The May 14 film is “Left Behind,” and is accompanied by live music, food, skits, and a bonfire.
- Purcellville’s Heritage Day in the Park is being held on Saturday, May 15 at Fireman’s Field Park. This fair celebrates the rich agricultural heritage of Loudoun County with live local music, a homes tour, wine tastings, pony rides, petting zoos, a farmers market, and more!
- May 15 and 16 is the Loudoun County Spring Farm Tour. This free, self-guided tour of Loudoun County's farms and wineries offers visitors the chance greet baby animals, tour wineries, learn how food gets from the farm to the table, and more.
- On May 22, visit the village of Waterford for their “Waterford Country & Cottage Garden Tour,” featuring more than 10 enchanting gardens (and a secret garden!) in this historic circa 1733 Quaker village.
- Head to Historic Morven Park on May 22 for their 2010 Classic Car Cruise-In to see wonderfully restored classic cars, street rods, and muscle cars. Includes a fun Oldies DJ, hayrides, a display of over 30,000 Matchbox cars and Hot Wheels, and tours of the mansion.
Food, Wine & Beer Events
- The “Beers of Belgium” are on tap for a five course beer dinner at Tuskie’s on May 12.
- On May 14, head to Hillsborough Vineyards for their monthly “Wine and Dine on Route 9” event with live music by the Cobblestones (think acoustic and eclectic blues and jazz), food, and wine. Free and open late.
- On May 15, the Taste of Greece Festival returns to Doukenie Winery in Hillsboro for its 11th year.
- Don’t miss the Greek food, music, dance, and wine. Dogs reign supreme at Breaux Vineyards’ Dog Days on May 15. There will be Bocce ball games and live music for the owners while our four legged friends have fun with frisbees and plenty of doggie toys.
- The Melting Pot Restaurant will serve food to pair with wines at Willowcroft Farm Vineyards on May 16.
- It’s “Beer vs. Wine” at this dinner at Magnolias at the Mill in Purcellville on May 20 where the USA (Loudoun wine) takes on Canada (Canadian beer).
- Tasting nights at Grandale Farm features a four-course meal paired with wine will be held on May 7 and 21.
- On May 23, Oatlands After Five presents Wine-Aroma! with Mary Watson-Delauder for a fun filled evening at this historic locale.
- Visit Sunset Hills Vineyard on May 23 for their Viognier Vertical Wine Tasting for a taste of their past three vintages.
- Bluemont Vineyards presents “Last Fridays at 951” on May 28. This is a great way to relax on a Friday evening: stunning views, fine wine, and live music.
- On May 15, the Restaurant at Patowmack Farm presents a “Spanish Tapas Cooking Class.”
Lectures, Book Signings & Exhibits
- On May 14, Astronaut Col. Frederick D. Gregory, the first African-American space commander and a GW alumnus, will speak about his experiences at The George Washington University campus in Ashburn.
- A talk on the “Status, Diversity and Natural History of Bees” will be given at the Smithsonian Institution Naturalist Center on May 15.
- On May 16, Nan Chase, author or “Eat Your Yard,” will present and sign copies of her book, which showcases edible trees, shrubs, vines, herbs, and flowers at Oatlands.
- On May 27, the National Sporting Library in Middleburg opens its “Lives of Dogs” exhibit, which provides a glimpse into the richly complex topic of the relationship between dogs and humans. It runs through December 11. The day also features a book signing by Mason Lampton, and his book, “A Centennial View: Foxhunting in North America Today.”
Horse Country Events
- This year brings the 51st annual Hunt Country Stable Tour on May 28 and 30. This self-guided driving tour features some of the finest horse farms and training facilities in the country. Features stable tours, reenactments, beagles, thoroughbred training, and more. Go behind the gates for an insider’s view!
- Memorial Day weekend brings Leesburg Corner Premium Outlet’s Sidewalk Sale. From Friday, May 28 to Monday, May 31, enjoy great savings on top of already low outlet prices. Save on designer and name brands including Adidas, Burberry, Coach, Crate & Barrel, Guess, Kate Spade, Lacoste, Pottery Barn, Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th and many more.